Monday, October 4, 2021

Baja Not "Ah Ha" (09.13.2021)

It's a cool day along the California coast. I'm down in Newport Beach for some sun and fun with my wife and my stepmother, Nancy. The weather was a bit on the cool side but a guy from Wisconsin doesn't complain about a cooler day at the beach. 

We had enough sun and thought it was time for a bite. We walked the beach front in search of the Rockin Baja Lobster. They serve what I'd call Mexican Fusion. According to the website, the restaurant(s) have a menu inspired by trips to the Baja. 

While the Mexican food sounded delicious and the plates plentiful, I had to check out the burger. I've been told so many times not to order a burger at a Taco place. I would normally do so but the images and my need to find a decent burger in an unexpected venue makes me go for it every time. 

The "Rockin Works" is a ½ Lb. Angus Beef Patty, Cheddar Cheese, Grilled Onions, Applewood Bacon, Dill Pickle, Lettuce, & Boom Boom Sauce. Boom Sauce? What the heck. The photo looked great. I also saw one in person on someone else's plate. 

I needed to cut it in half because of all the stuff on it as well as the fact it was a half pounder. The burger was juicy, cooked the way I like it but overall the flavors just didn't work. I stripped it back a bit to get a taste of the burger on it's own. Decent, not awesome.

Rate it: 3.5 of 5

$16 seems like a lot of cash for a burger from a casual place until I remember that I'm in California, Newport Beach specifically. I don't think the bun was much to speak of. The patty, juicy with some seasoning. The sandwich relies heavily on the Boom Sauce and all the other stuff loaded on.

                                                                      (Not my burger. Image was taken from their website.)
 


No comments: